Saturday, October 31, 2020

Another Go at NaNo!

Last year, my most productive writing by far occurred during National Novel Writing Month. It was quite a surprise, especially since I only decided on it a couple of weeks before it started and began with only a very vague idea for a novel.

I wrote every day but one last November, reached my goal of over 50,000 words, and best of all, wound up with perhaps three quarters of a novel that I was very pleased with. I'd been stuck so long in editing and re-writing projects that have dragged on for way too long, that going at a fresh idea with little expectation, but with the commitment to churn out the words, no matter what, was extremely liberating.

Trouble is, when November ended, I let my efforts slow, and before long, it all came to a halt. Clearly, it was all psychological - both the creative burst and the flat-lining. And, unfortunately, I don't yet understand myself enough to keep myself as active and productive as I'd like to be.

But November is here again, and I'm feeling some of the same sense of excitement and optimism that I felt this time last year. I'm going to go at it, unconcerned about ultimate quality, but alert to the trickle of ideas and motivations that materialized daily during NaNo 2019.

However it goes, I'm extremely grateful to the organization and the volunteers and other participants who make Nano happen. However much I don't understand about how and why it worked for me, it's very clear that Community and Structure were key. I don't expect it to be the same experience as last year (when there was neither Covid nor an Election with the fate of the World riding on it to distract) but I already know that it'll be good!

Actually, I'm realizing that another big factor in last year's success was Trust. Trust in the creative process and the very act of writing. Barbara, a member of my first writing group, used to say about all problems that come up in creative writing, "Work it out on the page!" And she was right. Part of last year's wonder - which I let myself forget come December - was how the subconscious always came through when I simply sat down to write without having already worked out what I was going to write.

So here's to Trusting enough for the writing to be an act of Creative Freedom!





No comments:

Post a Comment