Sunday, February 24, 2019

Derby Story


I have a new hat. A derby, which is a hat with a lot of personality. And it’s added something to my life. An accent, an opening, a challenge? All three and more. I didn’t know how much I’d wear it, but I took it out of the bag as we left the store and I’ve worn it almost every day since. 

The hat makes people take notice, and that gives me the desire to wear it, and a competing desire not to. It’s one of those swords that cuts multiple ways. Because it grabs people’s attention and declares that there’s something special, or fun or interesting going on. And I don’t necessarily feel prepared to live up to that.



When I first started getting the extra attention, it caught me off guard, and I often turned away from it, avoiding eye contact, not acknowledging the looks. It was like when someone mistakes you for someone else. They call out, they break into a loud smile, and you know you aren't who they think you are. To avoid the embarrassment, I was pretending not to notice them noticing.

But I didn’t avoid eye contact for very long, because it didn’t reflect what I really felt. I love this hat. I love how it feels and how it makes me feel. And how is that? Proper is one word. I feel proper in my hat. Cool and comfortable and just right. Not cool as in hip, though some people take it for a hipster’s hat. It doesn’t make me feel ‘with it’. It makes me feel like I’m in just the right place and have everything I need.

And so, feeling that, I started to relax and smile. I figure that the good feeling might just translate, it might communicate. After all, it makes me feel good to see someone wearing something unusual that I like. As I started to smile more, people started to speak to me. “Nice hat”, “Love that hat”, ‘What a cool hat’. ‘I haven’t seen a hat like that in years!’ And sometimes, a little conversation followed. Where did I get it. Where can they get one. Is it a bowler or a derby….. 

And a lot of people would say, “I couldn’t pull off wearing a hat like that.” Which of course I understand, because that’s the story of the first few paragraphs. A hat like that is something you feel you have to live up to. There are expectations that go with it.

But after awhile, as I became more comfortable with my derby, as I wore it day after day, I spoke to them about how it felt to wear it. I told them, “Of course, you can pull it off. You don’t have to sell the hat. The hat is gonna sell you. All you have to do is be yourself. And smile.” Which is curiously true.

I never bought into the notion that ‘the clothes make the man’. And I don't get fashion at all. But my derby makes it clear to me that, not only does what I wear affect how others see me, it affects how see myself. I can’t deny it. In my derby, I feel like an accented me. I feel like I’m presenting something of myself, rather than hiding in my anonymity. It’s a way of being more personal with the world.

I get compliments on the derby almost every day . And quite a few curious or friendly looks, nods and smiles. It’s even drawn a snicker or two; can't ever please all the critics, I guess. But that's only a small annoyance. And worth it to break through some of the stranger-to-stranger iciness in this city I so love.


7 comments:

  1. One day, I was lying in the sun, up at our farm, & I heard a loud buzzing noise...Thought it was a giant bee, but then focused & saw a tiny hummingbird hovering over my face...Later, my mum & I, of course, were at the bird feed store, inquiring about how to feed hummingbirds...All the feeders were red...Turns out that is what they need as a visual clue to know that is their food...The man said it was probably my pink bikini that attracted our hummingbird to me...I was food...Since then, I wondered if other creatures were attracted visually to red or hot pink...I came home one day with some underwear from La Senza, which turned out to be awfully itchy...I told my husband I was going to return them, & showed him a hot pink pair...His eyes sort of glazed a little, & I realised I was married to a hummingbrid...
    Flash forward to now...I am walking around wearing a really warm cherry coloured parka (made by Canadian vegan company called Noize)...My boots & gloves are laced with pink...I wear a cherry coloured sweater under my skinny overalls...I now wear a coat with cherry lipstick...I feel like not only my husband of 22 years is noticing me again, but apparently, everywhere I go, am surrounded by hummingbirds! Love your hat! Go forward with this & create a new look to go with it, if you dare! Colour your world(I sound like a paint company ad now)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Beautiful, Sari! I'll take that blessing!

      Delete
  2. oops, apparently typos cannot be edited out after publishing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great hat story! Made me smile the whole time. I love hats! I think that a good hat on the right day can make you walk with your shoulders pushed back just a little and a swagger to your step.
    Long gone are the days of the dapper dress of men in common society. But a hat is simple and easy and can add so much “accent” as you called it to your afternoon stroll.

    Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to hear from you, Andrew! And thanks for a nice addition to the conversation. And for the first step in us keeping in better touch. I'm going to look for you on Facebook!

      Delete