Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Movie Time Trip Tips

I’ve been watching old movies. On Youtube and from the library.

One of the best things about old movies is that they can come from a totally different cultural frame of mind than what we’re used to.

Expectations were different. Normal was different. Weird was different. The way things were done, the way they were said was different. And that’s on top of the fact that the writers and makers of film were always putting their particular spin on things.

I try to see a movie with no knowledge of what it’s about, so that it catches me totally unaware of the themes and plots to come. So when I’m watching something from the 30s through 80s, the jumps and twists can really seem to come out of the blue, and the insights and blind spots can be surprising.

   


The film I’m watching tonight is called “Fate is the Hunter”, and it’s particularly timely, and surprisingly close to today’s social realities in several ways, considering it’s from 1964. Totally unexpected.

Other recent films that took me to a different place, or showed me a different perspective were the following. Maybe in some other post I’ll offer reviews. But this time around, all you get are the titles.

“Stormy Weather”                       1943
“Nothing But A Man”                   1964
“Koyaanisqatsi”                           1982
“Synecdoche, New York”             2008


  


No comments:

Post a Comment