Sunday, March 29, 2020

Shotputs, Quarantines and Rising to the Moment


              I remember very little about The Peloponnesian War, the history by Thucydides that I studied in my first year at the Phillips Exeter Academy. The history covers the thirty year conflict between the Athenian and the Spartan city states, during the Fifth Century B.C. What I do remember, if only well enough to paraphrase, is the historian’s concept that we get to know human beings best when they are most challenged, that during times of high danger, violence, death and stress, we reveal who we are.



              One of the best things about going to Exeter was being challenged in a wide variety of new ways, and so discovering new parts of myself. That included my inner athlete. In my family, Big Brother Rhett was the Athlete, while I was the Bookworm. And I only really learned I had a decent athleticism when I was not only a starter on the varsity football team, but also the co-Captain of the track and field team.

              Track and field is a pretty individualized sport, so as captain there wasn’t much for me to do. Except win. I was pretty good at heaving the shotput and I went through the entire winter season winning. Until the season-ending meet against historic rival Andover, that is. During an early round of tosses, Andover’s third-ranked shot-putter surpassed his previous career best by about a foot. It was one of those perfect alignments of angle, thrust and adrenalin that even the inexpert stumble into every now and then, and his put landed him just beyond my own thus-far leading mark.

              I’d made many puts during the course of the season that would give me a win, both in competition and in practice sessions. But though this didn’t even approach a dangerous situation, it was a moment of great stress for me, personally. I was expected to win. And my team was counting on me. But in this moment, when my character would be revealed, I choked! I tensed up, began to over-think the situation. And I couldn’t block out the gleeful cheering of Andover’s home crowd, peering down from the overhead running track, excited at the prospect of the upset. I can still remember putting up my final shot. My form was fine, but the over-thinking made me tense and slow. The shot didn’t have a chance. And I’ll never erase the memory of the cheer that went up when the metal sphere thudded into the sandpit, landing pitifully short.

              It was a low point in my life. I realized that I wasn’t and had never been the person to fly into a conflict or challenge loose and eager and confident, determined to seize the day and ready to deliver my best. I was depressed for days. But since it remains one of the worst of my life’s emotional ditches, I gladly accept it as a major marker. And the great thing about the moment was the insight I gained into how I’m put together, and that I’ve been able to learn and grow from that insight.

              I’m looking out at this strange world we’re all in now and I’m realizing what a terrible challenge it will present to so many of us. I think of people who need to go to work if they want to feed their families, and who face the decision of whether to go into an unsafe workplace. I think of the hospital staffers who are considering quitting because they have children and parents they fear they will endanger. I think of those whose businesses and careers have come to a screeching halt, who will have to face whatever stark compromise or sacrifice they are called upon to make. Many are finding themselves tested in ways they couldn’t have imagined a month ago.



              And here I sit, so blessed that I have no such impossible challenges to face just now. Not that there isn’t one just around the corner.

              Among all those others being challenged, I’m also thinking of the politicians and government officials, and the calls they are having to make, the calls they may be avoiding having to make. And all those who desperately want these decisions to fall a certain way, but are powerless to affect them, except by lifting their voices or tweeting their tweets.

              Just tonight, I hear reports of a couple of actions being considered that I have opinions about. I’m not directly involved in either, but isn’t one of the things we’re learning that everything each of us does is connected to all the rest of us?

              I hear that Trump is considering sealing off New York City to suppress the spread of COVID 19. My general take on things is that Trump is a fool, but I actually agree with him on this one. And I was surprised to hear that Cuomo immediately came out against it. In the last weeks it’s been Cuomo relentlessly pushing Trump to take more drastic and assertive action, but now he’s resisting it. It strikes me as an obvious next step, and parallel to the extreme but effective actions taken in China, Italy and elsewhere.

              There is also some consideration being given to extending the shutdown of businesses in some sectors, and the question of which businesses should be considered essential and therefore exempt. An opinion was expressed that barbershops in the Black community should be considered essential, as community gathering spaces, and I’m totally opposed to that position. As true as it is that particular businesses have an elevated importance in some communities as compared to others, this decision should be made based purely on the danger of infectious contact and the utility of the business. Seems to me that while a plumber, keeping the water flowing and able to work alone, is appropriately considered essential, a barber needing to touch each client to provide that haircut can be reasonably expected to sacrifice trade during this crisis.

              These are questions that must be decided as impartially and as practically as possible, and our communities must be willing to forego political and pressure considerations, at least at this stage. Later on, in the recovery process, the playing field ought to be leveled as much as possible, such that those who have the greatest need are the most supported, after which those who have suffered loses can be compensated. Will these choices and considerations be weighed fairly and ethically? Sadly to say, probably not. The character of the nation and of we individuals that make it up, is imperfect, and this crisis will reveal many of our flaws. Let us hope, as Thucydides would have it, that we observe, learn and continue to grow as we slog our way forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment